Sunday, October 25, 2009

My 8 Iron Vs My Wedges

I have isolated a core audience or 20-40 people who enjoy reading my golf stories, so I have to keep them trickling in. Saturday I got off of work with 2 hours of playable daylight and sunny weather. I opted for a pitch and putt to work on my short game, and I could get in a full 18 holes, 1700 yards for $10. Most of the holes are 80-120 yards. I spent Friday at the driving range working nothing but my long distance clubs. It was chilly, and there was nobody in front of me or behind me. For the back nine, I decided that I would try an experiment. I would play two golf balls, one with only my wedges and one with only my 8 Iron. I even coloured one ball in my bag with my black magic marker such that it would look like a billiards 8 ball.

This is about as much fun as you can have golfing alone. Sometimes your friends bail on you for such asinine reasons as rearing young children. The nerve. I still had a fantastic day, as my wedges went shot for shot with my beloved 8-Iron. My putter was Switzerland. Anything on the green was a putter. It went back and forth, including a miraculous 20 yard chip shot with my 8. For the par 27 back nine, my wedges shot a 32, and my 8 Iron shot a 33. My putter was decidedly better to my wedges.

I am golfing at an undisclosed location tomorrow. I don't think this place will let me play wearing my hockey jersey. I'll wear a fleece just incase it rains and global cooling continues.

No comments:

Post a Comment