Wednesday, December 23, 2009

All-time best Christmas Movie...of these choices...

I have launched my poll of the best Christmas movie, but I added a catch. I wanted to go predominantly with movies released in my lifetime, with exceptions made for Rudolph and the animated Grinch because those were my two favourites when I was a child. As I grew up, I matured to enjoying new classics like Rocky 4 and Die Hard. As this is my site and my poll, I would like for you to choose from my list of the all-time best Christmas movies. I have never even watched It's a Wonderful Life or Miracle on 34th street. They may belong on the Mount Olympus of Christmas movies, but not in my poll. I should have included a Muppets movie. My bad.

So the poll question is; which of these Christmas classics would you most prefer to watch right now?

Home Alone - I watched this 3 times in the theatre
Rocky 4 - The one I voted for
Earnest Saves Christmas - A timeless classic
The Elf - Nephew's favourite movie
Die Hard - Classic
How the Grinch Stole Christmas - Jim Carrey's version not as good
Rudolph - My second choice if not for Rocky 4
Scrooged - Classic Bill Murray
A Christmas Story - You'll shoot your eye out
Gremlins - Classic
 

11 comments:

  1. You should see 'Bad Santa'. It is dark, profane and disgusting, but has a very sweet ending.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked Bad Santa, and it would have made the list had I been willing to bump Gremlins, which I was not. I did not want to exceed ten choices. I do have Billy Bob lined up for my best film/TV performance as Santa.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is your poll.
    Fair 'nough.
    It's a Wonderful Life would be my pick.
    Or Trainspotting as it has the same uplifting message at the end.
    I preferred the SNL version of ...Life because they go and beat the crap out of Mr. Potter at the end.
    And as heartwarming as ...Life is, I now see some parallel between it and the housing bubble meltdown.
    So in keeping with your lifetime parameter I have to go with Trainspotting since it also serves as a cautionary tale against heroin addiction.
    "Choose Life!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry voters but the very best CHRISTMAS movie (of the modern age and on the ballot) was Home Alone. It captured the essence of all of the other nominees.

    Unfortunately, the hundreds of brilliant Christmas movies cannot all be on the ballot but if we were to do Christmas without the original Scrooge or Miracle on 49th, it would not be Christmas.
    Scrooge, is redone theatrically and on the stage so often because it was and is, the brilliant emotion of Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I voted for Rudolph because of it's lasting value. But if the original Alistair Sim version of "A Christmas Carol" had been available I would have voted for that.

    The recent movie "The Nativity" 2007 (I think) was also quite good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bec, were you taking a shot at me? I wanted the people who visit my page to choose from among my favourite Christmas movies. I'm sorry if you are not happy that Rocky 4 was included. Bec, he knocked out Drago on Christmas Day. Think about it.

    Thank you for your contribution to my comment section.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Furthermore, a month after the release of Rocky 4, a panicked Gorbachev promoted Yeltsin to the Politburo. You can't deny Rocky 4's place in history.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Christmas vacation is best.... not even on your list....shame.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sad choices, not a worthwhile movie amongst them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Iceman - IMO nothing can match Die Hard. After the string of lukewarm Christmas fare on TV, all the goody, goody, nicey, nice ones, give me Die Hard any day.

    ReplyDelete
  11. How can you say that Gremlins is not worthwhile? Are you a communist?

    ReplyDelete