Thursday, December 17, 2009

Does Abstinence Make the Brain Grow Smarter?

In my poll of the all-time best episode of Seinfeld, the Abstinence is holding on to a very slim one vote lead over "is anyone here a marine biologist" with 1 day left to vote. I have been giving some thought about the premise of the Abstinence, that George can't have sex for a period of time and thus stops thinking about it. He soon becomes exponentially smarter.


It is not necessarily a matter of refraining from sex, he has to stop thinking about acquiring sex for whatever reason, be it injury or otherwise. I'm not talking about a "Catholic Priest" kind of abstinence; I mean completely blocking out the entire acquisition process. What would be the net effect on IQ? Would there be any effect? If a man dedicates 50% plus of his thinking time to the next time he will have sex, what happens if he knocks that down to 0%?

Has this ever been tested in clinical trials? Test a man's IQ before he loses his libido for a period of time, then test his IQ during his abstinence. Would he be smarter, the same, or even dumber? Given how much brain power in the human male is dedicated to thinking about sex, I would imagine that freeing up that hard drive space would improve performance. Like defragging a computer.

I have too many poll questions running simultaneously, but I have to get them out because I have about 10 new polls that I would like to launch.  Hell, this abstinence poll has been sitting in my queue for 3 weeks.

4 comments:

  1. Do you mind if I work this track into my "half a child policy?" We need to reduce the world's population in order to save the world's population.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That would make most bloggers the smartest people in the world.


    Sorry but it was just to good an opportunity to pass up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Iceman - I think you should stop reading that lefty loonie Marx's blog. He is having some sort of influence on you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't realize that I was playing right into Marx's population reduction fantasy. My appology to humanity.

    ReplyDelete