Friday, December 18, 2009

Fossil of the Year

I just finished watching this "Fossil of the Year" ceremony that has been awarded to Prime Minister Stephen Harper in Copenhagen. As a Libertarian-Conservative pundit and climate skeptic, am I supposed to be offended? Truthfully, I actually just finished a really good belly laugh, and I wasn't laughing with them. They have these E-List actors who couldn't get a job in a Chunky Soup commercial masquerading themselves around foolishly serenading someone in a Harper mask.

Then afterwards they interview this goofball from the Sierra Club who says "Canada is sending the message that they want to make money from oil." To which my response was, "yes, what's wrong with that?" Can anyone tell me what percentage of total Canadian Economic output comes from resources? 60%? 75%? Are we supposed to stop making money from our endowment of resources because a cabal of scientists manufactured consensus before anyone else really had a chance to run the numbers? And now troupes of bad actors and drama nerds have gone bananas because they see this as their entry point into the Hollywood Elite.

This is all crazy. Now they say that they have reached a deal on climate change. I will save that analysis for tomorrow if indeed a treaty is signed. I just wanted to take a moment to comment on this Fossil of the Year honour. Thanks goofs, I had a hearty laugh watching you make asses of yourselves on my television. Thank you for entertaining me, for the first and likely the last time. On matters of economics, I will trust my Mathematical Economics Degree over your Theatre Arts Degree.

Hold on, Stephen Harper is doing a press conference live from Copenhagen. I'll be back...

(watching press conference)

...I'm back. That's about as solid a presser on a controversial issue as you will see on TV. This Miloofsky guy the CBC sent is a dipshit. He is queued to ask a question, and he rants for 5 minutes asking like 6 different questions. Is that journalism? The PM handled it magnificently; he is doing so well that they are cutting away from the press conference early to go back to Soloman and Barton. God forbid the Soloman Show relay footage of the Prime Minister performing well on the international stage. Evan Soloman is an amateur at best, and the most reflexively partisan on staff. Who is his boss, and who is that person's boss, etc. Why does he even have a job?

And I am never buying Tide laundry detergent again.

Jack Layton is disappointed in the Copenhagen agreement, ergo, it can’t be that bad. My opinion of the Copenhagen treaty as of 4pm pacific time, Jack Layton is disappointed which makes me happy.  As a wise philosopher once said, "if it makes you happy, then it can't be that bad"...

4 comments:

  1. Elisabeth May isn't happy either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "And I am never buying Tide laundry detergent again."

    Exactly!!!!!

    That is all you need to say in an e-mail to CBC and duplicated to Tide Canada.
    http://www.tide.com/en-US/talk-to-tide.jspx

    Are you listening CBC?

    ReplyDelete
  3. What Jack is doing is being first out of the opposition gate so that Iggy has to scramble around thinking about what position to take, and still look like he's official opposition.
    "Hmmmm, Layton is against it so I can't be seen following the NDP....can't side with Harper, they'll hammer me for propping up this government and I still don't have the daggers Rae sent out of my back yet....but Obama said it was a good deal and I don't want to be seen opposing him....what to do what to do...maybe Warren and Donolo can think of something"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Iffy came out against staying in step with the US,
    he thinks we should have a 'made in Canada' plan.

    So if Iffy stays true to form, his plan will be the same as PMSHs which was made in Canada,
    but it will take Iffy 6 months to come to that conclusion.

    ReplyDelete