Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Free Conrad Black!

I have yet to blog about Conrad Black, but since I have been reading the National Post daily since its inception, I know the man. I did not follow his trial as closely as others. As an economist I am sensitive to white collar crime and allowed the American Justice System to do its thing. If he indeed committed the alleged crimes, he deserved to pay a price. I did not sit in that jury and did not hear all the evidence, and thus cannot sit in judgement of him other than to say IF he broke the law, I'm glad he fought the law and the law won.

When I say "Free Conrad Black", it has nothing to do with guilt or innocence. To me the prison system serves two functions, as a punishment for criminals, and to protect normal civilians from people likely to do them harm. Did he spend too much money as CEO? That case can be made. Does he represent any danger of harm to the civilian population? None at all. I don't even think Jean Chretien would accuse Conrad Black as being a threat to any one's safety and security. If he was indeed guilty, he should pay a monetary price and spend some time in a flexible in and out detention center. This man does not belong in a prison, and that is my opinion. Conrad isn't going to hurt anybody.

Even if he's guilty, he has paid a mighty price monetarily and in public image. Whatever he might have done, given the price he has already paid, his probability of recidivism is extremely low. Give his cell to a violent offender. Give him an ankle bracelet and make him check in with his P/O daily, but there is no good reason to incarcerate him for longer than he already has been.

Therefore I say; Free Conrad Black!

P.S: As an aside, some of the nutty Liberal Bloggers are pretty giddy about Dalton McGuinty. Dalton McGiddy. Does that work?

5 comments:

  1. Let me see from the Opposition point of view:
    OMAR KHADR TALIBAN OR CONRAD BLACK. their choice, the first two.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Conrad Black was set up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We know that Anonymous, the courts are reopening his case.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No, don't free Conrad Black.

    I don't care what his politics are. He stole from his own investors. I say let him rot in prison for as long as remotely possible.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Conrad Black was a scapegoat. All the investors made lots of money from the shares bought and sold within the companies that Conrad Black bought. He turned average run businesses and news media in to quality publications employing hundreds of people. Whereas the real crooks are the ex Nortel executives and boards of directors around 2000 just prior to the melt down. Overvalued Nortel stock based on BS sales potential and reporting. Where are these crooks and why hasn't anyone brought THEM to justice? I'll tell you where...they are enjoying their retirement on the backs of all the ex Nortel employees who all got screwed! Compared to them Conrad Black is a saint! What about Enron and Haliburton?!

    ReplyDelete