Sunday, December 20, 2009

Hungover Funny People

This weekend I rented both the Hangover, and Funny People, so I would like to do two movie reviews in one. The Hangover was hilarious, and I laughed quite a lot. I don't think I laughed at all during Funny People, in fact it made me sad. I was happy when I started watching it, and I was sad when I was finished. Maybe if you are already feeling sad, this movie will make you feel a little less sad, but it is really a depressing movie, regardless of the quality of any of the acting performances. If you'd like to feel depressed, rent Funny People. Granted, depressed is not the emotion that you expect to feel with a film titled Funny People.

If you need to watch one of these two movies, rent the Hangover. I did not find it to be as funny as the hype that it generated, but on my laugh-O-meter it was a 7.5 out of 10. The Goods was an 8 out of 10 if you have ever worked in sales. If you find yourself at a video store this week and must decide between:

1) The Goods
2) The Hangover
3) Funny People

I recommend them in that order, but again, Funny People is more sad than happy. I would probably recommend Inglorious Basterds over all three, and I have also rented Public Enemies which I haven't watched yet.  I appologize if this film review lacks professional analysis, but I just finished watching funny people and I need to curl up in a ball in the corner and cry.  I also don't want to discuss the plot because these are new releases and I would like you to enjoy them spoiler free.  I spoiled 2012, because it was a piece of shit and required spoiling...



 

1 comment:

  1. Went to see Up in the Air with George Clooney which is supposed to be a comedy. It was, in a smartass sort of way.

    However I found the idea that a woman could be on the road and never get a phone call from her children at an inappropriate time or that she could conceal having a family totally unbelievable.

    Also I thought it was far less biting than Clooney's previous 'satire' of corporate America Michael Clayton.

    Finally it would have been much more interesting if it had focused more on the real stories of the recession or more on the American experience of working for a corporation and having to move every few years in order to move up.

    ReplyDelete