Sunday, December 13, 2009

The Nobel Peace Prize

In the wake of Obama's acceptance speech for the Nobel Peace Prize, I want to ask two question. 1) Who is the least deserving winner of all time, 2) Who is the most deserving winner of all time. When I see a foul human being like Al Gore win the same peace prize as one of my own heroes Aung Saan Suu Kyi, it saddens me. I want the prize to mean something, but I am starting to feel with recent winners like Obama, Carter, and Gore, that this committee is shifting their accolade to a hidden agenda that is less concerned with acknowledging deserving winners than it is about affecting foreign policy in the United States. David Frum wrote a magnificent piece in the National Post yesterday. The piece that I wrote when Obama was awarded the prize asked the question of who was set to win the prize in 1939, because I felt there are strong parallels between Chamberlain and Obama.

If you are looking for Christmas gift ideas for the politically minded in your family, I strongly recommend the book Letters From Burma, by Aung Saan Suu Kyi. It will remind you why we love Democracy. When you are done reading the book, I recommend going out and renting Rambo 4 for context. Sly Stallone is a national treasure.

1 comment:

  1. As a note to people responding to the poll, Blogger has a bit of a bug in some browsers that when you click on vote the first time it shows you the previous results. Sometimes you have to vote twice to register a single vote.

    ReplyDelete