Friday, February 19, 2010

The Security Council

While I have had a number of complaints about the United Nations in my adult life, I have never argued that it should be disbanded. I do think that there should be a mechanism and infrastructure for international government, but that how it exists in its current form is flawed. Having said that, I think it would be fantastic for Canada to have a seat on the Security Council to inject a little sanity into an insane chamber. More Canadian content in the United Nations can only be a good thing, and by "Canadian content" obviously I'm not talking about Mike Ignatieff. America and Britain are already represented on the Security Council.

To take it a step further, I think Preston Manning should be the President of the United Nations. That would be a far more effective choice than Ban Ki Moon. If we are sitting on the Security Council, would we then have the power to nominate Presto to preside over the general assembly? I doubt it, but a man can dream...

1 comment:

  1. We should disassemble, disband and dismantle the U.N. What good does it do? Its goal appears to be global governance and taxation, to level the playing field for third world nations while chastising developed nations every chance it gets. It seems to be on the wrong side of almost every issue. I'm for opting out of that costly, pretentious, insulting international organization.

    ReplyDelete