Wednesday, March 10, 2010

The Future of Online Political Advocacy

Is online political advocacy the future of our democracy? I'm sure proponents will credit new media and online mobilization of activists for the election of Barak Obama, but I'm trying to figure out if this is just a fad or the future. Are the good old days of discussing politics with your friends and family in the comfort of your own home long behind us? Is the future Facebook? Is it now expected that we display all our political opinions for online consumption on sites that are used to share pictures and correspondence with friends and family? Instead of telling my Aunt about my golf vacation, what I should do instead is whip her into a fit of rage at the Liberal Party.

Of course, I do participate in online political advocacy in the form of a political blog. I don't force my political beliefs on others. People generally find my site by visiting the Blogging Tories, where people come to find political opinion. When they arrive, it says right at the top of my page that I vote Conservative because that is a disclaimer that I think people should see before they read my opinion. My audience craves political discussion, and they search me out if they want to read it. I don't go knocking door to door like a Jehovah’s Witness.

If Facebook is the future (as the CBC suggests), then I should be plugging CALNDTJ: Canadians Against Liberals Not Doing Their Job. If you can't beat them, should we join them?

Here are some of my polling results from early January.

WHAT IS THE PURPOSE OF FACEBOOK?

Keep in touch with family and friends (88%)
Incite political activism (12%)


DO YOU HAVE A FACEBOOK ACCOUNT?

No (52%)
Yes (48%)


DO YOU HAVE A TWITTER ACCOUNT?

No (82%)
Yes (18%)

1 comment: