Thursday, March 25, 2010

Obama to request Canada extend Afghanistan mission?

In the aftermath of the Liberal failed maternal health motion, the subject in Question Period today was back to Afghanistan. I know that several members of the opposition are opposed to our war in Afghanistan, but what happens when Prophet Obama asks Canada to extend our mission with our allies? Ignatieff admits to being one of Obama's biggest fans, so how will he respond to such a request? Today in Question Period Iggy wanted to know if we would be extending our mission, though I did not hear him state whether or not he would like to grant Obama's request. This isn't George Bush's war anymore; it is now Obama's war.

Thomas Mulcair appeared to have downed too many cans of Red Bull before his questions in the House today, as he screamed at the government to give him a yes or a no. The answer, military operations will cease in 2011 and the US State Department has yet to file any request. This entire conversation stems from an article in the Globe and Mail. According to Ibbitson:

The U.S. government will ask Canada to keep as many as 500 to 600 troops in Afghanistan after this country’s military deployment in Kandahar ends in 2011.

Sources inside and outside the government say the formal request is expected toward the end of this year through NATO. The troops would act as military trainers and would most likely be located in Kabul. The deployment would not involve putting Canadian troops in harm’s way, but could nonetheless set off a rancorous national debate among Canadians and especially within the Liberal Party.

No specific request has been raised in meetings between Defence Secretary Robert Gates and Defence Minister Peter MacKay. But officials in the departments of State and Defence have advised their Canadian counterparts that an “ask” is coming.

My own preference is to stay in Afghanistan with our NATO allies until Osama Bin Laden is captured or killed. To pull out before we defeat the force that attacked us does not to me feel like a victory. Yet if public opinion has shifted against our participation, then who am I to argue with consensus? Okay, I may argue, but I will not oppose ending our combat role in 2011 as has always been the Government's position.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with your stated preference but I then I am not on the line. If I was I would have to ask myself why was I there in the first place. I would hopefully realise what the sacrifices already made deserve not to have been in vain. The job is not done until it's won or I guess till our politicians say it is. To me it seems it's a worthy fight and all I can do on the sideline is to support and admire what our boys and girl are trying to do there so it does not come here.

    bverwey

    ReplyDelete