Saturday, March 6, 2010

An Oscar Grouch

I can't even remember the last time I watched the Academy Awards. I know there are some people who take it very seriously, but generally I am not interested. I feel that many of the award winners do not deserve their accolades, and that the winner of best picture is seldom actually the best film of the year. This year there are 10 nominations for best picture and I have seen 2 of them (District 9 and Inglourious Basterds) neither of which I think deserve a best picture award. I don't care if I ever see Avatar, though a number of people have told me that I need to, but 3D glasses give me a headache. I have been meaning to see the Hurt Locker, but have yet to commit my $5.

So the questions of the day are which of the nominees do you think should win, and how many of the 10 have you seen?  Personally I can't believe Star Trek wasn't nominated.

4 comments:

  1. My favourite was an animated film called "9". Not District 9 and not Nine the Italian remake. The film has Christopher Plummer as one of the voices. It is set in the future after some sort of war between humans and robotic creatures.

    The film should be seen in one setting and in a dark room, preferably without any very young children present!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have voted "none of the above" but that choice wasn't offered.

    The bastards who made "Inglorious Basterds" should be taken out and shot in good old-fashioned German style for the most senseless remake of history in history.

    Brad Pitt, who I liked in "Legends of the Fall" was so miscast in his role he was a parody of it. It looked like he was trying to imitate John Wayne or Jeff Chandler,actors who were believable in such roles.

    The massacre of all the leading Nazis in the movie theatre looked like a wishful thinking scenario penned by an autistic cocaine-addicted Hollywood screen writer who'd never left his mother's basement, and read too many comic books in his youth.

    Memo to Hollywood bigshots who want to capitalize on a War that was fought thirty years before they were born; view "Saving Private Ryan" about fifteen times, acknowledge the respect for the military and the soldiers depicted therein,and proceed accordingly.

    DMorris

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't watch them either. The speeches are too long and the commentators too gushy and hyper-ventilating for me to stomach. I have a passing interest in who won which is more interest than I have for any of these overpaid, self-centered, hedonists for the rest of the year.

    I agree with Lynn. That scene in the bar was so prolonged that had I been drinking along with them I would have consumed enough alcohol to require stomach pumping. Definitely not up to Tarantino's usual standards.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I watched about 10 minutes of it, which brought on a multitude of yawns and sent me to bed a lot earlier than usual.
    Anyway, I am glad Avatar did not win. The visual effects were extraordinary but portraying US soldiers as the enemy was leftish ... big time.

    ReplyDelete