Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Sherlock Holmes

Last night I rented the film Sherlock Holmes starring Robert Downey and Jude Law, and I must say that it was an entertaining experience. The script was clearly designed to set up future films and if Downey is signed on, I will be renting the sequels. I won't say anything that reveals the plot, other than the basic premise of CSI merging with 19 century England. I was not pleased with the choice of villain in this film, who despite a strong acting performance was used to set up the more compelling villain in the next movie. Passing on the optimal villain shows that obviously they intend to make this into at least a Trilogy.

I do recall from my own childhood; when a person would state an overtly obvious fact, the required response would be "no shit Sherlock!" which I confess to using myself on several occasions. And on the subject of police drama, NCIS Los Angeles is brutally awful. The person who cast LL Cool J as a crime scene investigator should not be employed in the business of casting decisions. I much prefer CSI: 19th century London. The special effects are fantastic, Downey is always good, but I was mildly disappointed in the story.


No comments:

Post a Comment