Friday, April 23, 2010

Avatar

This evening I decided that I would rent the movie Avatar and give it a whirl. That was just about the worst screenplay that I have seen in a modern box office success. The dialogue was painfully atrocious, and the plot had no depth. I understand now why South Park parodied Avatar under the title Dances with Smurfs. I did not watch it in 3D but the visual effects were still remarkable. It is a movie worth seeing if for no other reason than it has magnificent scenery, if you are willing to suffer through a sandpaper plot to do so. The Smurfs look ridiculous when they are crying, and yes there is lots of crying.

I am curious where this movie will rank in the annals of history and in the minds of the next generation. Are we going to have an epidemic of youth growing rat tail mullets to start plugging into light sockets and various household appliances? Parents around the world are going to have to start hiding their blenders.

By the two hour mark, I was cheering for the bad guys...

6 comments:

  1. If we do, I've got a name for them: Avatards.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ummm...

    I rented it yesterday, too.

    I thought is was a remarkable work of art, and tour de force of computer graphics bordering on magic. Makes you wonder where the movie industry is going next.

    Sure, there was messaging, and on several levels, designed, IMHO, to make people think and question certain ideologically premised assumptions about life and the universe about us. Nothing wrong with that. We all should do much more of this.

    I've spent much of my life reading up on things religious and ideological, but particularly with regard to the metaphysical. There was considerable thought put into this screenplay from this aspect. There are many, many things we humans do not yet understand about our world, and how life interconnects within it.

    Great movie, with an element of enchantment I have not seen the likes of in too many years.

    And now I'm going to head for cover and await my symbolic execution.

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Certainly the visual effects were remarkable. It is worth renting the movie for no other reason than the visuals.

    I'm just saying the plot sucked.

    Springer, are you going to grow a rat tail mullet? Be carefull what you stick it into...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree Iceman. The visuals were good, but the plot sucked bigtime. I can't wait for Ironman II

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL! I'd give my left...ummm...unowhat just to fill in this ever increasing solar panel atop my noggin.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Didn't care for the needless attacks on capitalism that wore seemly thrown in at the last minute... the share holders comment and that whole conversation. Which contradicted an earlier conversation which had explained why they were there.

    It stead of elaborating on that initial idea of a greater threat, he took the story down a black & white road that it really didn't need to take. And was clearly half-ass.

    Watch it again and pay clear attention to Giovanni Ribisi's character and lines.

    There was certainly no depth. Or room for gray, just 2 dimensional characters. "bad guys" vs "good guys". Lame lame lame.

    Whats worse is that Cameron himself said it was an allegory to the Iraq war..... What a jack ass. I hope the "martyr" comment from the movie is realized for just how grossly inappropriate of a line it was.

    ReplyDelete