Sunday, May 16, 2010

Can You Cheer For Montreal?

I am faced with a difficult decision, can I cheer for a team that I have loathed my entire life just because they are Canada's remaining team in the playoffs? When Calgary, Edmonton, and Ottawa went on their recent runs to the finals, I cheered for all of them. Canada as a country has not won a Stanley Cup in nearly 20 years, which is likely our longest drought as a country in the history of the NHL. I suspect that many Canadians will have no problem jumping on the bandwagon, but I don't think that I will be able to do the same. Something about seeing Scott Reid wearing a Habs jersey on national television turned my stomach.

I was cheering for Washington and Pittsburgh in the first two rounds, and if I couldn't cheer for Cinderella against Goliath, I doubt I'll be able to do so when Cinderella plays Cinderella. Besides, those hooligans who trash their own city even after a victory cast shame on the fan base. Win, lose or draw, there will be riots. I know the good folks in Edmonton will be cheering against Chris Pronger, who has a way of showing up on teams who make deep playoff runs, and ripped Edmonton's heart out in 2006 when he demanded a trade right after the season. I really don't care who wins the western conference and am unlikely to watch any of that series.

3 comments:

  1. Lighten up, Iceman, Montrealers trashing their city in the name of sport goes back to Jean Beleveau days. And Les Habs are a fun team to back, better than Toronto any day. I say this as a proud westerner, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know how you feel. I'm physically unable to cheer for the habs. The NHL is about city's anyway. Its not provinces or countries or any of that marketing bullcrap. I'm with whoever is against Montreal.

    I would love it if the Quebec City franchise came back though. One can hope.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Being a sport nutz (fan) crosses national boundaries.

    World Cup Flags, bring out ten of thousands to celebrate on St. Clair, when Italy wins.

    I like to cheer for a smaller team to avoid the traffic mess!

    I grew up with Boston,Wing fans they are nuts!

    So if you can't find yourself cheering for a rival it is normal and not un-canadian.

    I cheered for the Habs, leafs back in the day of Salming, Lafleur.

    Those days are long gone. Same with the Liberal Party it is not the party of our parents.

    I don't remember when attacking Christians was allowed or tolerated by any mainstream political party, but the smears against Day ended any rational debate or notion of the depths.

    It is funny watching Alps complain about the reputation on QP after his Kartrina George Bush remark over H1N1.

    Last time I checked his party has been 24/7 using parliamentary privilege to allege illegal activities against the CPC.

    ReplyDelete