Monday, May 31, 2010

CTV News Channel, The Honeymoon Is Over

Once upon a time I was upset that the CRTC mandated CBC Newsworld's inclusion in my cable package, but CTV News Channel was not available. A few days ago CTV News Channel showed up on channel 17, and I was excited to have another 24 hour Canadian news option. Having watched it this weekend, it pains me to say that the CBC has a superior product. While Newsworld is mandated to be a non tax funded specialty network, they do benefit from being able to use significant content from the subsidized channels. The CBC may have a competitive advantage because of piggybacking content, but regardless CTV News Channel just sucks.

It isn't a matter of who is the most bias, or who hates Conservatives the most. CBC Newsworld is a better product with more content. CTV will just run a small number of stories in a repetitive loop, while the CBC offers more variety. And don't get me wrong, I would love to see Rupert Murdoch set up a Fox News Canada; I just don't expect it to happen anytime soon.

6 comments:

  1. Oops, when I wrote this late last night, I mixed up the HRDC with the CRTC. Shit happens.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The important this is that you have contempt for both organizations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of your choices for which channel, should be none of the above!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now you know why I cancelled my cable subscription and put my TV into storage.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I believe the loop is also a CRTC mandate. In fact, CBC have complained when they've departed from this format.

    ReplyDelete
  6. CTV News is extremely bias. So far I have been a regular viewer of CTV News but not anymore. They showed close to nothing on the recent Israeli hostility on the aid ship in the international high sea. Thought this channel was somewhat impartial but not anymore. I bet CTV News or the producers are all somewhat connected to Israel and that needs to be changed for impartial news.

    Going to CBC and AlJazeera for decent news.

    ReplyDelete