Sunday, May 16, 2010

The Fall of Facebook

Great news to all, the social networking (and neuveau political activist) website Facebook is facing an increasing trend of people walking away from their accounts. I personally don't have a Facebook account because of copyright concerns, privacy concerns, and a number of technological glitches. When I learned that they wanted to own what I write a few years ago, I deleted my account. Now more and more people are following suit in greater number, as people learn how vulnerable their information is and how careless the Facebook community often is.

In recent months here in Canada, Facebook was heralded by the Globe, Star, and the CBC as a grassroots vehicle for political activism, where anti-Conservative partisans can gather to riff on Tories. The Canadians Against Prorogation group is still going strong, though its wall is now dominated by a very small group of intensely partisan people. Little to nothing is mentioned about prorogation, as it has now become what many of us originally thought it was a place for anti-conservative activists to gather to complain. It was never about grassroots fury. I think Jim Lahey said it best when he said "when you plant shit seeds, you get shit weeds."

I'm a little disappointed that the Blogging Tories have incorporated Facebook into their site, encouraging users to sign up. I would think that Bloggers would be concerned about the copyright rules, and yet here is the incentive to participate. It was it is. I'm sure it is no coincidence that South Park ripped Facebook amid these falling numbers.

4 comments:

  1. I complained a week or two ago to Stephen Taylor about facebook. All of a sudden I couldn't comment in Blogging Tories unless I was a facebook member. I cancelled out of facebook a few years ago for privacy reasons. I decided then that I would have nothing to do with facebook. It turns out that I was right.

    After complaining I was able to comment again without facebook.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm kinda concerned that my Mac prompts me for "ouath.twitter" all the time now.
    I don't have a twitter account.
    And I deactivated my facebook account last year.
    I'd said hello to a few dozen people I used to know and then I ran out of things to say.
    As the Human League said back in the day, "Everybody needs two or three friends".

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never signed up to facebook or twitter. I don't have the bug in having the latest or greatest technology to "keep up" with the Jones's.

    I remember ICQ, Yahoo voice chat but the intelligentsa living in the basement, trailer park culture thing did not impress.

    My personal hobby blog will suffice for political engagement.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd call it TwoFaced Book because of the many ways they've back stabbed their members.

    It's bloody shocking how many people have allowed this corporation access to so much of their lives. I can't help to think that it's similar to people who'll go onto a show like Jerry Springer and make a complete spectacle of themselves, all just for a few minutes of being a "TV somebody".

    Many of these internet companies are just pure evil.

    You know why many “Used Car” dealers name themselves “Honest Fred’s Used Car Emporium”? It’s because they “ain’t”.

    The same sleight of hand is used with the word “evil”.

    Now, let’s all play “Name that Dirty Rotten Corporation”

    ReplyDelete