Monday, July 5, 2010

HST Great For American Retailers

As BC and Ontario levied a new sales tax on their people, the result has been large numbers of Canadian shoppers migrating over the border to spend their money. I was at the Park Royal mall in Vancouver on the Friday of a long weekend right after a lot of people's pay days when it would normally be packed, and hardly anybody was there. People don't like spending on consumption taxes, because the majority of people enjoy spending money for as little cost as possible.

Let's remember that there are distinctions between Campbell's HST and Dalton's HST. Both are levying new taxes, but different amounts on different items. BC Liberal leader Gordon Campbell also jacked up the carbon tax to start the summer.

6 comments:

  1. Um, you do know that smuggling is illegal?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cross border shopping is not illegal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And Cross border shopping is not smuggling.

    I do it all the time. I go on business trips that last for a week and bring back all sorts of goodies. Last trip, it as a new MP3 player (I spend alot of time in aircraft. need to drown out the engines somehow). The previous trip? A new netbook.

    And at a significant cost savings even before taxes are calculated.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I should probably mention, that I declare everything and I always am within my legally permitted exemption.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So when retail sales show a jump in the USA next month, will Canadians get the credit.
    But there are stores down there that will not take a cdn debit cards, must go get US cash. They will take credit cards. And they will not take canadian change.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also always declare everything. If you find a bargain pair of shoes for $10, who cares if you pay tax on import? Vancouver retailers of clothing no longer order normal clothing sizes for white folks. I am happy to pay cash and have an American-denominated credit card. I do almost all of my shopping in Palm Desert or LA on my $750 1-week limit and do the rest in Calgary (or Edmonton or Ottawa or Toronto) on trips. I will now add some 2-day trips south for the $400 limit to either Oregon, Washington or other shopping destinations. F* Campbell.

    Anywho, the US needs some help too to get their economy going. If we are integrated, then, Spend baby spend.

    ReplyDelete