Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Steinbrenner; "Star Wars would suck without Darth Vader"

I was listening to Bill Simmons and Dave Dameshek talking about the passing of Yankee owner George Steinbrenner, and Dave described it best "Star Wars would suck without Darth Vader". I cheer for the Yankees to fail, but I have to admit that the George was an iconic figure and the world was a better place with him in it. He brought deep pockets and aggressive spending to baseball's largest market and created an evil empire that is a perennial contender that everyone loves to hate. Personally I don't like to see so many of the top free agents going to the Yankees every season; as the business of sports franchises is where I become somewhat of a communist. I am strongly pro salary cap and revenue sharing in sports to try and spread talent to the smaller markets so that they can stay competitive.

He will be succeeded by his son Hank, whom I have heard compared to Chris Farley's character in the movie Tommy Boy. George may not be with us anymore, but his legacy will last forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment