Thursday, September 9, 2010

Does The NHL Belong In Quebec City?

Do you think that there should be an NHL franchise in Quebec City? Regardless of whether or not you think the government should make an investment in the building of a new arena, do you support the return of the Nordiques? I was sad when both the Winnipeg Jets and Quebec Nordiques move to the United States, and I would very much like to see them return. I strongly support the government offering financial assistance to build a new barn in QC, but I understand that this is not exactly a populist position. I love hockey and derive personal satisfaction from the success of the game in Canada, with the exception of Montreal and Toronto, two cities I enjoy watching fail.

I support any Canadian city's bid for a future Olympic Games. I support the building of as many sports venues as can be managed, and I support the federal government investing in our athletic infrastructure. I know that Don Martin (in big bold letters at the Post's website) thinks that the Prime Minister is just doing this to buy votes, and that he is probably not alone in this belief. Frankly I don't care if the Prime Minister is just doing this to buy votes in Quebec because I support the initiative regardless of motive. Vote Conservative in the next election and increase the likelihood that hockey grows in Canada...I like the sound of that.

I would even support putting a franchise in Whitehorse...hypothetically...

12 comments:

  1. I agree iceman. it is the one sport that binds all Canadians.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sports are money sucking waste of money. As long as people spend their own money on it I don't care. Governments should spend exactly zero dollars on all and any sports from junior beginner level to Olympic and everything in between. Sports of all type a luxury that supports should pay from entirely from private funds. I am particularly opposed to government money from, any level beginning dumped to support overpaid, pampered professional athletes and their infrastructure. Not one cent for arenas or football stadia anywhere in Canada from any government at any level.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't see a priority for an NHL arena investment with our Federal Tax dollars.

    If Quebec City wants to upgrade their professional sports building a provincial local tax would be appropriate.

    If it was smaller community centre - amateur rink I would be behind it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd support arenas, but not necessarily more Olympics. There are too many crazies out there and the cost of security is way out of line. Let's celebrate Vancouver (we did own the podium) and Calgary (no golds but party Olympics and they 'waved' Samaranch), but unless costs can be brought into line,that's all for Canadians. Would much rather see the funds put into decent facilities and training for more athletes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Why can't the teams lower salaries and build their own stadiums. Quebec would just try and turn the team into a Quebec a team to compete in world events and olympics as Quebec. Not one cent until they elect several conservatives and get rid of the Bloc.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well as a woman I have to say there is always money for sports but no money to increase the salaries of nurses when negotiation time comes.

    As a long-time worker for the Conservative Party in Quebec I am against this use of taxpayers' money. Every time we give money to Quebec it is forgotten the next day. It is totally taken for granted. Look at the millions that were given for the renovation of a wing of the Montreal Museum for Fine Arts. This was completely forgotten in the last federal election and we were accused of neglecting the arts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think hockey arenas are a good infrastructure program just like railways, pipelines and wind farms. What really is the difference?
    People “need” to have a place to play. Not that a pro hockey team should not pay its way and to rent the arena at a fair market price. If there is a good business plan then go for it. Go Nords Go … and Flames and Oil and Habs and Sens and Canucks … Boo Leafs … are there JETS in our future?

    ReplyDelete
  8. HArper is out of control. Is promoting the NHL a fundamental role of the federal government? I miss the fiscal conservatism of Preston Manning. We already have $55 billion dollar deficit. Why is Harper musing about this? He knows that to hanover billions of dollars to support pro sports frnachises across the country will be paid for by our children. Don Martin is right. Hsrper doesn't care. He wants the votes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. gah. Your commentators make sense but I'm with you. I want a team in Quebec. I literally want to be with Quebec and against Montreal.

    I love Quebec, Ville du Quebec that is. Its 10000000 times better than Montreal. I bet they could build a stadium on donations alone. Habitat pour Nordiques ;) Seriously though they still love their team and I would love them too.

    Plus I can't stand Montreal.

    ReplyDelete
  10. But you know what Chantal Hebert disagrees with this opinion of mine, so at least I have that much going for me. Chantal and Gary would make great friends on the issue of a new arena in Quebec.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just out of curiosity, how many people opposing this project have actually worked in an NHL callibre sports arena? As it so happens, I worked 2 years at GM Place in Vancouver. That building is a cash cow.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Iceman, I don't understand your last comment. If you mean that the building owner will recoup his investment without taxpayer money, then agree.

    ReplyDelete