Thursday, November 25, 2010

Polygamy Back In The News

Once again the issue of polygamy is back on the television news, as the BC Supreme Court prepares to make a ruling on the matter. I really hope that they don't screw this up, because I don't see this as something supported by the majority. That gets us to today's poll question; should people be allowed to marry more than one spouse? I vote no.

While the social libertarian in me would vote to legalize prostitution and marijuana, I draw the line at polygamy. It isn't on moral grounds per say, but that if you allow a small number of men to collect a large number of wives, then you are skewing the ratio of single men to single women. If our court says it is okay and people in the big cities can start pairing up with multiple spouses instead of just isolated communities, you are opening a Pandora's Box.

6 comments:

  1. On the other hand, there could be just as many women collecting a large number of husbands...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't see how the government can justify disallowing polygamy,under our Blessed Charter. It's going to be legalized whether we like it or not, and if the Courts rule against it, the ruling will be ignored by the politically correct elephant in the phone booth,Islam.

    I have this idea, my wife is a nurse,makes good wages. If I had three wives making the same wages,I wouldn't have to work,and could spend my time golfing,fishing, hunting, pubbing.

    Ice,you're a wise young man,when do you think it would be a good time to broach this subject with my wife? Dmorris

    ReplyDelete
  3. We've got legalized same-sex marriage - soon we will have polygamy. I hate to think of what could be next.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dmorris, you do realize that wife no. 1 picks no 2, and then they pick no. 3.
    I am sure your wife will have a great choice for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is just one more example of how our morals in western society is getting looser and looser. Pretty soon anything will go with no repercussions whatsoever. No wonder third world countries hate us. We are every bit as decadent and questionable as they think we are, and we're in a hurry to prove it every day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think the big issue is that the polygamy law is being challenged because it prevents religious freedoms. Which makes me wonder what other religious freedoms Canada is going to have to accept as a result of our multicultural society. Arguing against it as a protection to women and children is not going to work.

    ReplyDelete