Sunday, November 14, 2010

What Is The Most Overrated War Movie?

I have been watching Platoon, a movie that I once thought was a great film. Watching it now for the first time in a long time, this movie blows. Maybe it is because I can't take Charlie Sheen seriously anymore, but his performance in Platoon is comically bad. It is almost fun to watch just to see Charlie Sheen's bad acting through the lens of hindsight. This leads me to the question, what is the most overrated war movie of all time? I think Windtalkers is the worst war movie ever made, but which war film that won critical acclaim sucked the most? Windtalkers was getting any chatter at award time. This is going to be the subject of a future poll question. Thin Red Line will also be on the list. Lions and Lambs was an absolutely awful film.

Also, what was the single worst acting performance in a war movie? Nick Cage, Windtalkers? Charlie Sheen, Platoon? Ben Affleck, Pearl Harbour?

9 comments:

  1. Can't watch Sargent York starring Gary Cooper anymore as it is so slow moving and the first half is so cracker barrel and corny. I think he won the best actor Oscar.

    I love Gary Cooper normally, but I don't have the patience to sit through this anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anything with that dreadful idiot Nicholas Cage gets my vote for being the worst.
    You combine him with the Charlies Angels/CHIPS/Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon action sequences meets WWII in "Windtalkers" makes for the worst of the worst movies.
    I remember renting it and after about 15 minutes of Cage's dreadfully overacting performance I vowed never to watch a Cage movie or John Woo movie ever again. John Woo has to be the most overrated director of all times. Explosions where the actors due the trampoline front flip always leaves me scratching my head, It was like watching, the women's Olympic floor routine in military garb.
    The two combined is exponentially bad.
    Best war movie ever: 'Regeneration"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Platoon? - I always liked it alot - still do.
    Amother war movie i really liked that came out maybe 2 years ago is 'Blackbook' by Paul Verhoven. Based on an amalgnam of true events in WW2 Holland. It had Dutch, Duetsch AND Canadians.

    Agent Smith

    ReplyDelete
  4. the Canadian one Passionfruit, I mean Pasendale (something never saw it) but read some reviews and they were brutal.

    Fav if The Bridge On The River Kwai

    ReplyDelete
  5. rufusrastasjohnsonbrownNovember 14, 2010 at 5:30 PM

    Gotta go way back to The Green Berets with John Wayne.When I was a toddler I thought it was the ultimate in good guys vs bad.I had the chance to see it again not too long ago and it was soo gawd awful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll second Kwai.
    And suggest you cast your net a little wider by including Band of Brothers and The Pacific.

    As for Charlie Sheen.
    His dad is Martin Sheen.
    So, I'd cut Charlie a break.

    As well, ain't it funny how the action stars are Republican?
    Like Stallone and Schwarzenegger.
    I doubt Eastwood's a Democrat.

    And yeah, Paul Gross is awful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ben Affleck, Pearl Harbour. Anything with Ben Affleck, actually.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Apocalypse Now gets my vote

    ReplyDelete