Saturday, December 4, 2010

Tough Economy

Friday on CTV Newsnet they did a piece on unemployment, and they featured a young guy who graduated top of his class in Film Studies 8 months ago and still has not found a job. His degree in watching television isn't working out for him? Big shocker! Couldn't CTV find any recent philosophy or sociology graduates to profile? Rather than seek out an experienced blue collar worker who has contributed value to the Canadian economy over a significant career and has lost his job; CTV finds a Film Studies graduate. Though I expect that CTV did not seek out the kid who watches lots of television, but rather that he contacted CTV trying to get on TV.

There are thousands of jobs available in Canada right now. You might not be able to get a job watching television, but if you are flexible on the type of employment you are seeking, it isn't hard to get work in Canada right now. That being said, if you wasted tens of thousands of dollars on a useless arts degree, you are likely in for a rough employment career...

6 comments:

  1. Outside of trying to make the Conservative government look bad, I can see no reason why for interviewing people who have a degree in basket weaving. Why don't they go to one of the community colleges where people graduating with a trade are being scooped up as soon as they walk out the door. A qualified welder who belongs to one of the metal trades unions and can't make a hundred grand a year just isn't trying. I was doing that back in 1981 and the wages are a lot higher now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's a lot of unproductive avenues one can go down in university.
    So far I have my kids sold on electrical engineering and geological engineering.
    My son likes rocks and my daughter wants to be like her old man.
    Hope it holds over the next eight years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. heck you can even make a living selling retail if you stick at it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree Powell Lucas, I went to community College in the 70's qualified as a welder. I never looked back. I remember a teacher at a party talking up her degree, she then announced her annual salary. I didn't say anything till she asked what I was making. I told her, it was easily twice what she was getting, for a minute there I was gonna call the paramedics for oxygen. Ruined her little elitest brag.
    I didn't ruin it by pointing out I was working 7 days a week a lot of the time, in -20 weather.
    Cheers Bubba

    ReplyDelete
  5. A few years back, my brother was a little upset that his daughter was marrying a plumber. Until he had to call a plumber to fix his pipes!! When he realized how much the plumber cost and realized there is always a need for such services, he also realized this was one daughter that wasn't going to be coming to him asking for financial help like his other daughter who married a self proclaimed "journalist"

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've gone back to school for cabinet making and will be a level one apprentice in two weeks. I have received two job offers and I have not even sent my resume out yet! Not that it matters but I'm 52.

    ReplyDelete